The main objective of the project are:
1. To develop new indicators for measuring the circular economy/resource efficiency to enable policymakers to establish targets, monitor progress and ultimately achieving policy goals
2. To develop new quantitative tools based on multi-scale modelling approaches, i.e. from the urban to the global scale, enabling policymakers and researchers to explore the macro-economic implications of different scenarios of resource efficiency, and the resource implications of different macro-economic scenarios. Although models play a key role in both economic and environmental policy, the use of resources has been rarely integrated with economic models. Our modelling work aims at filling this gap by advancing the state-of-the-art for analysis of the macro-economics of resources
3. To understand the drivers and barriers to innovation that enables greater resource efficiency, and the policy frameworks that are best suited to facilitating the development of innovation for resource efficiency. In order to do so we will conduct a survey on innovations related to Resource Efficiency in Europe and China and will advance the theoretical framework of innovation studies by focusing explicitly on the importance of institutions and policies
4. To understand historical influence of circular economy and resource efficiency on economic performance, the role of trade (particularly between China and Europe) in stimulating or inhibiting resource efficiency, innovation and patenting activities and industrial structure
5. To bring greater clarity to the concepts of circular economy and resource efficiency, and how they related to concept as diverse as sustainable development, Green economy, steady-state economy, low carbon development and many others. We will also try to understand how and why the concepts have been developed and applied differently in China and Europe
6. To build collaborative working relationships between the institutions, building on each partner's strength and network to develop a very integrated workplan where Chinese and European partners collaborate in each single work package with shared tasks and joint production of shared deliverables which will constitute the building block on which future collaborations can be established.
The SINCERE project (SINo-european Circular Economy and Resource Efficiency) is addressing the following priority themes under the Green Economy area:
- The greenness and dynamics of economies;
- Metrics and indicators for a green economy;
- Policies planning, and institutions (including business) for a green economy
- Green economy in cities and metropolitan areas.
Additional information on the project can be found HERE